Friday, October 23, 2009

Baptist

Normally I have two rules when stating my opinion to the general public: 1. Don't talk about politics. 2. Don't talk about religion. It's two topics that everyone has an opinion about but hardly anyone agrees on. Now that I've made that clear I am going to break my second rule today!

I am a fellow baptist, born and raised. Southern to make it more picture perfect for you. I was born in Georgia, baptised at 10, saved at 6 and singing in the choir before I could form sentences properly. But as my mommy dearest always says, when the "worldliness" got ahold of me, I began to realize a few really screwed up things about this "perfect" group of people. In fact I'm going to let you in on my experiences growing up in a southern baptist church. Let's start at about 4 years old. We had just left our church, because the pastor was apparently a "heathen", and took a small group with us to form a new congregation. My family took it upon themselves to buy and build a church for our friends and family. My mother was a Sunday school teacher, my grandfather was a deacon and my sister and I wore lacy dresses and sang the B-I-B-L-E and other ridiculous children's songs every Sunday! True story. So as gracious and humble as we were, you would think that my family rode to church on a parade float every freakin' service. No! Instead when my grandfather decided to take on a hot little red head in his spare time after twenty-one years of marriage, the church exiled us. No shit. Just turned us away because divorce is a sin. (Sounds like someone forgot to read their Old Testament! )

Then you have the time I wore shorts into a church, while we were building something for some great cause, and I got told I was gonna burn in hell because women aren't allowed to wear anything but dresses in the eyes of the lord. Hello! Can't God see and hear all...like all the time. Think about it.

Not to mention the normal everyday stuff that can land you right into a fiery pit of death: drinking (because no one drinks in the bible), sex before marriage (yeah, suddenly hell's a little over populated) divorce, suicide, laziness, OH! worrying is apparently a sin. So stop! Now!, you can't be gay, you can't curse, you can't think or say anything wrong about God, adultery is a big no no, I could go on and on.

But here's the BIG laugh. Despite the fact that I grew up in this crap, I decided to join a church with my family and do some volunteer work in my spare time. I figured what's so bad about being good? Right? So when I break up with my ex because he's a manipulative ass hole, he decides to call the preacher's wife and make her his buddy. Someone he can really lean on. He tells her that my roommate it pulling me away from God and towards the devil, that I'm doing drugs and drinking, the I'm wild and falling away from the grace of God. Truth is, I love God, it's his people that freakin' suck! So now the preacher's wife is blowing up my family's phone trying to save me from drifting away from God's magnificent love. She's tried several times to mediate a conversation between the two of us and get us back together. And all the time she thinks I'm lying about his abusive mental state. No one see's manipulating my family's church members into believing that I'm a heathen as VINDICTIVE AND PSYCHO!?!?! What's wrong with these people. Now my church has turned their back on me and I am the gossip on everyone's lips. (Crazy how gossiping is also a sin.)

I have decided that I hate organized religion. People aren't smart or responsible enough to dictate what others should do for God. I love God and he loves me. I'm a good person and I pray. I study my bible and other works about His life. That's good enough for me. Thanks for reading my rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment